Curriculum Series – 2. Language Arts
Language Arts is so broad. For us it is made up of six components, most of these are done daily.
- We are finishing up All About Reading Level 1 and will start AAR Level 2 the first of October
- We are finishing up All About Spelling Level 1 and will start AAS Level 2 the first of September
- Growing With Grammar 1
- We are finishing up Handwriting Without Tears 1st Grade and will start HWT 2nd Grade the first of October
- Catholic Child’s Daily Journal from Sanctus Simplicitus
- Basil Readers & Read Alouds (working on a post with some detailed lists)
The boy was one of those kids that wasn’t reading when he “should” have. He was in a respected private school here and after much prayer and evaluations of him by every professional you can imagine – we brought him home. One professional said ADD, one said it was because he had ear issues (8 surgeries) and spent formative years with a reduction in hearing, one said he just wasn’t ready, one said he should just repeat Kindergarten, one said dyslexia… anyway you get the idea. I personally was leaning toward dyslexia or that he just simply wasn’t ready. Thankfully it was the latter!!!!
This summer between 1st and 2nd grade he turned 7 and all of a sudden he was ready. Now he is flying through his days and reading well. He is doing so well and moving so fast I decided to use this year to “catch up” so to speak. Not that it really matters which grade you are in when you homeschool 🙂
I also spent many dollars and many hours on a ton of different reading programs and crashed and burned with all of them, until a good friend pushed me into All About Reading. If there was ever a miracle drug for reading this is it!!!! After about 6 weeks under our belt we added in All About Spelling and it is wonderful as well. Marie Rippell and the folks at All About Learning Press are my heroes!